Old wiring—even knob and tube wiring that dates back to the early 20th century—isn’t inherently dangerous, but unless you were around when the house was built, you can’t be sure the electrical system is up to code. Plus, materials such as wire insulation can deteriorate over time.
Safety issues with old wiring
Faulty wiring is the leading cause of residential fires, according to a 2009 study by the National Fire Prevention Association. And the older your house is, the greater the chances that old wiring might be outdated or unsafe.
If you don’t know the condition of your wiring, it’s worth paying a licensed electrician to inspect your electrical system. Expect to pay $150 to $300 for this service.
A good reason to consider replacing old wiring, aside from electrical home safety, is that some insurance carriers may refuse to insure houses with older electrical systems, or they may insist owners pay higher premiums.
Warning signs of outdated, old wiring
- Breakers trip or fuses blow regularly.
- A tingling sensation when you touch a wall switch, appliance, or receptacle.
- Dimming and flickering lights.
- A burning smell in a particular room or from an appliance.
- Discolored outlets and switch plates that are warm to the touch.
- Ungrounded outlets throughout the house (ungrounded outlets accommodate only two-prong plugs).
- A lack of ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in your bathrooms, your kitchen, and other areas that may be exposed to damp and wet conditions.
- Your house was built more than 40 years ago.
Read more: http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/electrical/should-you-replace-old-wiring/#ixzz3o0HTmgkB
Follow us: @HouseLogic on Twitter | HouseLogic on Facebook
If you have a house with old wiring or other electrical issues, like a panel upgrade, flickering lights, faulty circuit breakers or any electrical repair or installation such as lights, ceiling fans or whole house surge protection call Rudolph Electric, your San Diego CA Electrician today.
Electrical demands developed by modern-day technology put more pressure on older electrical systems. Insurance coverage business have begun to deny renovations to a house equipped with a electrical service panel that may trigger electrical fires and they has not been upgraded by an electrician.
Many former electrical panels are now inadequate, creating safety hazards. The electrical service panel has a lifespan of between 20 to 25 years. In some scenarios panels weaken to the point where circuit breakers burn. Waiting too long to replace an old system threatens the electrical panel to turn off or perhaps triggering a fire.
Replacing or reconstructing your present electrical service panel will prevent numerous issues in the future. In a lot of scenarios, a complete replacement will cost less than regularly doing repair services. Property owners should consult their insurance coverage company to find out about the demands to minimize your premiums for electrical upgrades. It is likely that as soon as the upgrade is full, you can encourage them to offer you a modest discount rate on your premiums because the modernized wiring makes the premises more secure from fire and hence less of a danger to insure.
Electrical upgrades are regulated by the regional building regulations. Lots of electrical repairs and installations need to be examined and approved. Our certified electrical experts will assist with this process.
Leading Reasons for House Electrical Fires
1. Insufficient electrical capacity. Today’s homes have an increasing number of devices that consume electrical energy including clothing dryers, water heaters, electric varieties and ovens, frost-free refrigerators, dishwashers, even media centers. In warm environments, a/c is a major power drain. As you add home appliances to your house, the power supply might become inadequate. Anytime you put a significant appliance you need to have your electrical system examined by a certified professional. Don’t disregard indication like merges or breaker tripping or lights dimming!
Here are the main reasons for inadequate power in your house:
o Overloaded circuits
o Limited circuit box ability
o Insufficient number of outlets
Adding receptacles (and even worse, utilizing extension cords) does not increase the available power. If you find that you are plugging in numerous devices into one outlet, you need to increase the power supply straight from the distribution panel.
2. Obsolete devices or electrical systems. Thirty years back, domestic power use was much less, even in warm environments. The typical new house required 60-amp electrical service, which was linked to a screw-in fuse panel with 2 fuse blocks. 10 years later the average home required 100-amp electrical service and breaker had become standard equipment.
Upgrade Your Electrical Service Panel
Today, the typical brand-new house is equipped with 200-amp electrical service and a distribution panel dealing with approximately 40 fifteen-amp breaker. The kitchen area might be geared up with receptacles with the ability of providing more than 60 amps to the countertop home appliances alone. The air conditioning or HVAC system might take more power than a whole home did 30 years earlier.
If your home is even twenty years old, possibilities are it has to be upgraded! The thirty-year-old electrical service panel in your basement or garage the one with the screw-in merges is almost certainly a fire threat. Over time, the contacts weaken. The point of contact between the buss bar and the base of the fuse oxidizes or charcoals. As existing flows, enhanced heat is created, resulting in failure or fire. In California, if a home is equipped with an electrical distribution panel that uses screw-in merges, many insurance coverage business will not restore house owner insurance.
When you upgrade your home’s electrical systems, you’ll rest easy with the knowledge that you have actually greatly decreased the chance of a devastating fire.